Thursday, May 13, 2010

NOT Warmachine related, sorry!!

Hey guys, well I have signed up for a 40k tournament in 10 days, Cangames' Ottawa Astronomicon.

Ca$h and I had briefly considered going to the Toronto version of this, but then saw that they were using VDR and other wonky rules, so we decided against it. However, I keep hearing such good things about it, and then saw that Lt Walke from CWC Forums, aka Jason Kebic, was running a mini Astronomicon for Cangames using the same rules, so figured I'd give it a whirl.

Now their comp system is a bit odd, everyone starts off with 20 pts and you start with 1 HQ, 3 troops, 1 FA 1 Elite and 1 HS choice. For each choice PAST these, you lose 1 point, if you go 2 past, you lose 2 more points.. Sounds confusing, they have a graphic, but the point is this: I am planing on taking 3 HS, but start with 1. so the Second HS taken is a -1, the third one is -2, for a total of -3. Luckily, I'm playing Guard, so the three Troops Choice limit is decent for me, I just shove as much into my one platoon as possible. So what I've done is taken away one unit of veterans, and the astropath is gone, and that pays for 6 rough riders, plus 3 more lascannon teams, for 1480.

HQ:

Guildmaster and Hearthguard (Company Command squad) with 4 melta guns, 1 plasmapistol, Chimera: 155 points

TROOPS:

Hearthguard Squad (Platoon Command Squad) 3 melta guns, 1 flamer, Chimera: 120 points
Infantry Squad with Autocannon: 60 points
Infantry Squad with Autocannon: 60 points
Infantry Squad with Autocannon: 60 points
Thunderer Squad (Heavy Weapon) with 3 Lascannons: 105 points
Thunderer Squad (Heavy Weapon) with 3 Lascannons: 105 points

Pioneer Squad (Veterans) 2 meltas, 1 flamer, Chimera: 150 points
Pioneer Squad (Veterans) 2 meltas, 1 flamer, Chimera: 150 points

FAST ATTACK

6 Trikes (Roughriders) with Power Lances, 65 points


HEAVY SUPPORT:

Medusa with Siegebreaker and closed top crew: 155 points
Medusa with Siegebreaker and closed top crew: 155 points
Colossus: 140 points

1480 Pts

OH and theres a video of my game tonite coming, too bad youtube is slow to upload to.

EDIT: Ive taken out the siege breaker rounds on both medusas, and with 30 points to spare, have added the Fleet Officer, to mess with enemy reserve rolls :)

9 comments:

Lothlann said...

why not just take 3 demolishers, 3 vendettas, 3 platoons wit heavy weapon support an an hq and not spend any points, whats the point of the points do they give you a higher score?

Joyous_Oblivion said...

I don't think he has most of those models for his Squats, thus the likely reason he doesn't take them :)

Lothlann said...

i do though :)

Matt Varnish said...

yeah, if I took that list I'd be at 10 out of 20 comp:) I'm fine with that, but like marty said, I dont own those models :)

Lothlann said...

how would it be, its 1 heavy 1 fast 3 troop and an hq?

Matt Varnish said...

oh you would keep that stuff squadronned up? not me

Lothlann said...

i totally would just to be that guy. that would be hillarious, have all that and still have perfect comp.

CA$H said...

the whole notion that a "comp" is even required in a game leads me to believe it was never designed to be competitive, and its a superficial addition to placate whiners. But that's me being grumpy about it.

Joyous_Oblivion said...

The really weird comp rules is one of the reasons why im not that excited to do anything for this tourney.