Sunday, May 2, 2010

Warmachine Mk2 has taken me!

Holy crap!

This is how you write a rules set! I just picked up the new (Jan. 2010) Warmachine rule book and I am so impressed. First of all, it was only $30, and is ~240 pages of FULL COLOR. Second, it is so well written. Ambiguity is minimal - compared to GW rule books, it's a technical manual. The art is outstanding, and the models....where do I start.

They have really made some great models for this game. Now to be fair, I have always been partial to steam-punk, so there is that automatic attraction, but the sculps are awesome! I have decided to go with the models I like the most first, so Khador it is for me (Cryx is a close 2nd). I have a Battlegroup, Widowmaker box set, and "Butcher" on the way...so expect some pics soon as I start to build and paint them up.

The few test games I have played so far with proxies has me hooked in a big way....so more to come!

8 comments:

Joyous_Oblivion said...

Dammit Tristan...now im intrigued...the models always looked neat to me.

Joyous_Oblivion said...

Tristan, who are you playing with? Has any of the guys got into it too?

What armies do they play?

Can I play a mercenary army?

Bah I need to buy the rules...

Anonymous said...

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/the-game

Some quickstart rules. Dunno, looking through the range there are the odd stellar model but mode lfo them are ass

CA$H said...

oOk

Matt Varnish is playing pure Merc - so yes, you can just be mercs
Lothlan is going Cryx

Matt Varnish said...

if you are jazzed with Mercs, then do them marty: there are pirate mercs, random mercs, troll mercs, and best of all, dwarven mercs, called the Searforge Commission, using nothing byt Rhulic (aka dwarves) you can still make a cool army, plus the models are bad fucking ass.

That would allow me to do Protectorate

Joyous_Oblivion said...

I think I am going to go with Cygnar Dennis. The more people I talk to the less they feel like the Space Marines of the game, but their gameplay and models really appeal to me :)

Matt Varnish said...

well tristan has the cygnar deck, with every unit. talk to him about it.

Diragi said...

huh; warmachine = serious business or a passing diversion from 40k?